Starting a small business can be a lonely road! If you have decided to start a small business, you’re going to need some help. This series, titled Going it On Your Own, will cover three important parts of starting your own business:
- Setting Up a Small Business
- Talking About Small Business Ownership with Friends and Family
- How to Transition Out of Your Job
Check out this list of do’s and don’ts to make sure you transition out of your job with a clean slate.
- Think up a good elevator speech for why you are leaving your job. Future employers may ask about it.
- Have an honest conversation with your manager and co workers so that everyone understands your reason for leaving.
- Give at least two weeks notice.
- Make a list of names, positions, and contact information in case you want to use your coworkers as references. Connect with them on LinkedIn, too!
- Try your best to help your company transition or train a new employee to fill your spot. You can also offer to help with the job description!
- Make your small business preparations on the clock at your current job.
- Try to use all of your vacation days at the end of your two weeks notice. It’s not fair to your teammates who need your assistance during the transition!
- Forget to meet with HR to confirm you final pay, transfer your keys and passwords, and make arrangements for your health care.